Wednesday 16 May 2012

Phone Tag part 2


She never did call me back. Eventually I caught her at her desk. And she was able to tell me immediately, and slightly smugly if I’m any judge, when the next contact was set for. Friday. So only 10 days after the last contact. No apology for the gap and when I asked about the long silence.

“Oh I was waiting to see how proactive you would be.”

Words failed me.

“Proactive?” I said.

“I was waiting for you to show an interest in your son.” She said.

“I’m sorry. I don’t think straight when I’m in shock.” I said.

“In Shock?” She said and she sounded genuinely surprised.
“I’ve found things very difficult since the hearing.” I said.

“You sound very tense.” She said. It sounded like a criticism.

“I’m not surprised. Talking to you makes me feel tense.” I said.

“Why on earth would I make you feel tense.” She sounded like she was about to accuse me of being silly so I told her there was someone at the door and I would have to go. It took every ounce of self control not to scream down the phone: “YOU TOOK MY BABY YOU TART. HOW DO YOU THINK I FEEL?

I don’t think she understands human emotion. Maybe she really is a dingo in human form.

No comments:

Post a Comment